Sunday, April 5, 2009

Salsa Night








Yerevan is a pretty cosmopolitan place...Lots of Armenian restaurants, irish pubs, sushi places, Indian restaurants, and even salsa clubs.

Thanks to Lonely Planet Gapo we all had the pleasure of experiencing 12 Club Salsa Club. It doesn't look like much from the outside, actually it's kind of like a hole in the wall, literally. But once you get inside and the music starts playing it turns into an interesting place. 

I have to comment on the music. The singer is an incredibly talented Armenian woman singing in Spanish. I think she is almost too good to be limited to this venue. I wonder, how are stars made in Armenia? Connections? Raw Talent? Good Luck?

As for the patrons, it was a mix of "hip" locals and expats. This wasn't one of the flashy, elaborate clubs of Armenia that we always hear about. It was more like a hidden, insider spot where people went to have fun and show off their dancing skills. We even met an expat from Toronto who was back in Armenia because he was asked to become a judge on the Armenian version of Dancing with The Stars (Yerp Parum en Astghere).

I must say I've never danced Salsa in my life, but Yerevan is making me do funny things...

(Images from top: Gangster Gapo posing for the cameras, some of the local patrons of 12Club, a local couple showing off for the crowd(hmmm is she part of the show??), Birthrighter's Armen and Jennifer tearing it up, Melody and I in search of an ATM, Gapo and I posing for the paparazzi, We found the ATM)

No comments:

Post a Comment